Episode 8: Scatter Plot

Slides

Exercise:

See also Preparing Data for Visualization to learn how to put data into a Gist.

This time Iā€™m going to invite anyone to join the live audio. Hereā€™s the joining info:

To join the video meeting, click this link: https://meet.google.com/cun-bxhs-qgc
Otherwise, to join by phone, dial +1 316-413-2020 and enter this PIN: 586 917 944#
To view more phone numbers, click this link: https://tel.meet/cun-bxhs-qgc?hs=5

Hey @curran thatā€™s the way I found to give the dot a title to it when hovering it.

The way that I did was passing the information inside the ā€˜marksā€™ as p_x and p_y, and appending the title to the circle getting p_x and p_y.

PS: It is inspired on your video of Cheap Tricks.

This scatterplot shows the time series of daily new cases of Covid pandemic in Italy.

• x-axis exploits scaleTime
  • the radius of points is proportional (i.e., scaleLinear) to the amount of patients in intensive care on a daily basis
  • the button in the top-left corner toggles the path to switch from a connected scatterplot to a pure scatterplot and viceversa
1 Like

Hey Felipe @maion, I tried with Google Chrome but I couldnā€™t visualize titles. Should those be visualized as a kind of tooltips?

Another example mimicking tooltips with alerts. Hover the mouse pointer over a point to get its coordinates

Edit: it looks like I cannot post three times in a row in the same thread, therefore I edit this post to put another different exercise. And here it is:

More about Irises. The rationale behind this new exercise is plotting all the pairwise comparisons of all the numeric fields in the iris dataset (ie. 4 variables => 2^4 scatterplots). I built a 4x4 matrix of 16 distinct svg elements, sticking with a Vanilla fashion as much as I could (e.g., no modules, even if, to be honest, I still donā€™t feel confident with ES6 modules :smiley: ). Thus, in order not to repeat code, each scatterplot is plotted by a function which is invoked for each ā€˜x vs. yā€™ pair.

Colors denote members of the three iris species. Inspired by this

Ooooh that works! Thanks!

Hey Andrea @floatingpurr, the ā€œtitlesā€ are not very fast response, but it is working under chrome & safari (here), the mouse pointer is not visible during screen capture, but the title yes.

1 Like

@Andre cool that it worked for you!!
And thank you, Iā€™ve learned a new word in your code ā€œpeskyā€ lol!

1 Like

Hi Felipe @maion, I tried with Google Chrome but I couldnā€™t visualize titles yes It works here too. I donā€™t know the reason why the first time I tried it hadnā€™t worked. Maybe, as you pointed out, browsers render titles tag with a little lag and I was hovering the pointer over points too quickly.

PS: if you donā€™t want to pollute your mark objects with extra attributes for unscaled values, you can apply the inverse scaling function to build your titles with original unscaled data, e.g.:

.text((d) => (`( ${x.invert(d.x)}, ${y.invert(d.y)} )`));
1 Like

Andrea @floatingpurr, thank you!!

I was pretty sure that there was an inversion somewhere to do it. I was not able to find it. So, I thought "It will just be faster to just add this 2 lines in ā€˜marksā€™! lol hahah

1 Like

You are welcome! : ) See you all next exercise

Hello @curran,

As my exercise Iā€™ve played around with the same data input, and my goal was to try to have all the information in the same Scatter Plot (with title).

Although, I think I should somehow normalize the data for the radius. If I change the data (sepal <-> petal) the radius gets really small, and the ellipse almost vanishes.

Iā€™ve planed to add menus to it, so I could fast change the data, but it seems a big step for how the code is right now.

My fork uses the Dinosaur Directory Dataset, courtesy of the Natural History Museum, London (nhm.ac.uk).

It plots the length (x-axis) against the weight (y-axis) of the dinosaur.

Thanks to @maion for the awesome tip about hovering tooltips. Iā€™ve added them to include extra information about the name of the dinosaur, the period when they ruled the earth, their diet type, length, and weight.

2 Likes

For this exercise I created a scatter plot comparing EU fertility rate with urban population %

Based on the table I found here: https://www.worldometers.info/population/countries-in-the-eu-by-population/

I created this gist repository for my data: https://gist.github.com/yiorgosbagakis/c3bb0aa590d0685c484b2459be4a7b75

For my scatter plot I added the text showing which country is represented by each dot. I changed a bit the colours to test how I can modify the axis styles. It was a bit tricky to display the text without overlapping since some of the dots are very close to each other. I used ternary operators for this - I am sure there is a more elegant way for this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Created scatterplot based on table diabetic for food vet, kcal, carbonhydrate